The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) in Uganda is currently seeking applicants for the position of Finance Manager/ Accountant.
Position Summary: The Finance Manager/Accountant supports the Executive Director to ensure that accounting, budgeting and grants management are in alignment with internal and external procedures, regulations and controls.This position ensures the security of all assets, and that, on a daily basis, accounting files are complete, timely, and reliable.
An educational background in accounting/finance management and a professional accounting qualification are required with at least 4 years relevant job experience in project accounting.
About JGI: The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a world leader in protecting chimpanzees and conserving our planet. Founded in 1977 by iconic ethologist and pioneer Dr. Jane Goodall, JGI advances the vision and work of Dr. Goodall through community-based conservation, research, education and advocacy. JGI inspires people to take action to make the world better for people, animals and the environment. The organization makes innovative use of emerging science and technology in its work in four African countries. It empowers hundreds of thousands of young people across the globe to take action through Roots & Shoots.
Primary Responsibilities include;
- Keeping implementing Supervisors informed.
- Analyze and monitor project fund and cash balances,
- Monitor internal asset control systems.
- Liaise with US office to provide complete and timely wire transfer requests, forecasts and month end transaction detail and summary reports.
- Prepare monthly payroll tables with project and donor allocations.
- Identify issues that need resolution and recommend improvements.
- On a monthly basis reconcile and review bank statements, as well as cash and all asset and liability accounts.
- File supporting documents to be readily accessible.
- Process daily and monthly accounting transactions, including a thorough review of supporting information for all transactions ensuring documentation is organized and compliant with JGI, donor and accepted accounting principles.
- Review financial statements for operating trends and results for Executive Director.
- Ensure timeliness and completeness of close related activities to ensure month-end close process is in accordance with JGI Headquarters guidelines and deadlines.
- Ensure the balance sheets are accurately stated and reconciled to the general ledger.
- Review financial statements for operating trends and results.
- Ensure expenses properly identified and recognized.
- Month-end accounting close process for JGI – Uganda including: Preparation of journal entries accurately and within established deadlines.
- Support the Executive Director in maintaining the accounting / finance system in compliance with JGI policies and procedures as well as donor requirements.
- Analyze impact of exchange rate fluctuations on budgets.
- Analyze monthly and quarterly activity reports against budgets to ensure proper accounting treatment and enabling implementer s to make timely informed decisions and manage change.
- Participate in the development of new proposals, leading preparation of the budget, narrative and cost proposals.
- Provide supporting documentation as needed.
- Under the direction of JGI US, and in collaboration with local staff, lead preparation of the annual budget.
- Conduct cost allocation monitoring and analysis.
- Track required cost share on grants.
- Provide effective mentor ship to staff on financial management
- Assist the Operations Manager in supervising year end stock taking to understand what supplies and assets JGI has in the store.
- Ensure that all tax and other statutory obligations for JGI are paid in in compliance with Uganda laws
- Other tasks assigned as necessary according to project and organizational needs.
– Minimum University degree in Finance/ Accounting, or related field.
– Professional accountancy qualification such as CPAU or ACCA.
– Four years professional experience as a finance officer with strong accounting skills and demonstrated management skills, at least two years of which should be in an international non-profit organization.
– Demonstrably strong knowledge of financial and accounting systems, components, standards and practices, including Fund Accounting.
– Demonstrably strong knowledge of Ugandan accounting laws and regulations pertaining to finance and payroll.
– Advanced MS Excel competency.
– Experience of working in multi-cultural environment.
– Reliable team player who will make a positive contribution to a productive working environment.
Required Skills and Competencies.
– Functional familiarity with USAID award and contract regulations.
– Ability to effectively prioritize multiple responsibilities with minimal supervision.
– Excellent English written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
– Excellent analytic and problem solving skills.
– Ability to exercise and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
– Demonstrated proficiency in Quick Books accounting software and MS Office applications.
– Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to field sites.
The position will be based at the JGI office in Lubowa with occasional travel to the field.
Submit your CV/ resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com ,cc. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 7th April 2017.
Only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
No phone calls please.