JGI Uganda is looking for young leaders aged between 18 and 25years to join the Roots & Shoots Uganda National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC). The Roots & Shoots Uganda National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC) brings together passionate young leaders from around Uganda to learn, grow, and collaborate on service campaigns that make the world a better place. Members of the NYLC are the youth voice of Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots in Uganda and work to further Dr. Jane Goodall’s mission of improving our planet for people, other animals, and the environment. Youth leaders of the NYLC will gain valuable skills in service leadership, receive mentorship from influential leaders, and participate in training to represent Roots & Shoots across the country as they inspire the next generation of Jane Goodall.
We are therefore, looking for highly motivated and dedicated young leaders who are ready to join a passionate group of young people from around Uganda to work towards making positive change for people, animals, and the environment. Our inaugural Roots & Shoots National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC) will be made up of the highest level of youth leaders in Uganda. Members of the NYLC are the youth voice of R&S Uganda and work hard to support the organization’s success. Roots & Shoots NYLC members will be provided with the training, resources and opportunities to develop into community leaders who create positive change in their own community as well as opportunities to mentor Roots & Shoots members and represent JGI at seminars, workshops, conferences, campaigns and other events.
About Roots & Shoots
Roots & Shoots is a global environmental and humanitarian program of the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI). It is a youth-led global network taking action to improve our world currently making a difference in nearly 100 countries. It builds on Dr. Jane Goodall’s legacy and vision of placing the power and responsibility for creating solutions to big challenges in the hands of the young people. All around the world today, youth are exploring problems in their communities around animals, people and the environment, brainstorming solutions and creating projects that help to solve the problems. It is designed to engage and inspire young people to plan and implement different types of activities to address problems facing the environment, the human community and animals. Participation in these activities enables students to learn a variety of skills and develop a greater appreciation for the world around them. Through its global network, Roots & Shoots promotes respect and understanding of different cultures and beliefs.
Roots & Shoots Mission is to promote respect and compassion for all living things, to promote understanding of all cultures and beliefs, and to inspire each individual to take action and make the world a better place for the environment, animals and the human community. Goals:
· To implement positive change through active learning about, caring for and interacting with the environment
· To demonstrate care and concern for all animals
· Enhance understanding among individuals of different cultures, ethnic groups, religions, socio-economic levels and nations through our global communications network
· Help young people develop self-respect, confidence in themselves and hope for the future
Why join the Roots & Shoots NYLC?
• Gain professional development and work experience
• Get an opportunity to be a key youth leader
• Create new connections and global friendships
• Participate in events and campaigns
• Receive regular news about animals, people and the environment
• Get opportunities to network with like-minded people
• Connect with organizations and leaders in related fields
• Chance to help chimps and other animals
What responsibilities does the role include?
• Participation in NYLC meetings
• Connecting with Roots & Shoots groups
• Regular communication with the NYLC team
• Engaging with our Roots & Shoots social media
• Contribution to the development of Roots & Shoots awareness campaigns
• Representing Roots & Shoots at events, or designing your own events
• Participation in the annual International Day of Peace
• Assisting with creating resources in response to areas of need
• Providing ongoing feedback on your experience as a Youth Leader
• Participate in Roots & Shoots action projects in Primary, Secondary and tertiary institutions in Uganda
• Mentoring future Youth Leaders
• Highly motivated youths aged between 18 and 25years
Fill out the google form in the link below and submit before January 31st 2017.