THE JANE GOODALL INSTITUTE
The Jane Goodall Institute builds on Jane Goodall's scientific work and her humanitarian vision. Our mission is to:
- Contribute to the preservation of Great Apes and their habitats by combining conservation with education and promotion of sustainable livelihoods in local communities;
- Improve global understanding and treatment of Great Apes through research, public education and advocacy; and
- Create a worldwide network of young people who have learned to care deeply for their human community, for all animals and for the environment, and who will take responsible action to care for them.
- We strive to respect, nourish and protect all living things; people, animals and the environment are all interconnected
- We believe that knowledge leads to understanding, and that understanding will encourage us to take action
- We believe that every individual has the ability to make a positive difference
- We believe that flexibility and open-mindedness are essential to enable us to respond to a changing world
- We require integrity and compassion in all that we do and say
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE INSTITUTE ARE TO:
- Increase primate habitat conservation
- Increase awareness of, support for and training in issues related to our relationship with each other, the environment and other animals (leading to behavior change)
- Expand non-invasive research programs on chimpanzees and other primates
- Promote activities that ensure the well-being of chimpanzees, other primates and animal welfare activities in general
The Jane Goodall Institute for Wildlife Research, Education and Conservation, a tax-exempt/non-profit, was founded in California in 1977 by Jane Goodall and Genevieve, Princess di San Faustino. Initially, day-to-day operation of the Institute was handled by board members and other volunteers working out of their homes. In the early 1980s JGI moved to the San Francisco offices of the California Academy of Sciences, where it functioned essentially as a USA/Africa "communication link" and as a repository for files.
In 2006 JGI Global was formed to create a system to synergize the work of the 27 offices found Worldwide. The JGI family is found all every continent bar Antarctica. For more information on the various offices, please click onto the appropriate flags.